The Martin House is the perfect place to relax or be active. Some of the many activities, restaurants, and attractions in our area include:
- Ventura's Restaurant in Fairfield. This is a family restaurant (it does have an attached sports bar) with very good food. They have a varied menu with everything from pizza and subs to steak and seafood (very good crabcakes) and a nice ambiance. Their prices are also reasonable. Other restaurants nearby include The Fairfield Inn, Sander's Square, Taverna's, plus a great selection of restaurants, taverns and fast food eateries within a 20 minute drive of the Martin House B & B.
- Hiking, bird and other wildlife watching on the twenty acres of woodland around the Martin House.
- Visit the historic Gettysburg Battlefield National Park - only a 15 minute drive. We can furnish maps and brochures to assist you in determining which attractions or which part of the battlefield you wish to visit, as well as directions to get you into and around Gettysburg in an easy and efficient manner.
- Skiing, snow boarding or tubing at Libery Mountain Resort - only 2 minutes away.
- Nearby is Reid's Orchard and Winery. Located in the scenic "Narrows" area of Adams County, it is owned and operated by Kathy and Dave Reid.and has a great selection of wines and hard ciders. We can arrange a winery tour with a free wine tasting for you, or you can stop in at their wine shop on Baltimore St. in Gettysburg to sample and purchase one of their local made wines. We can, also, arrange to have a bottle of your favorite waiting for you upon your arrival at the Martin House. Visit their website at www.reidsorchardwinery.com. Look for their line-up of great FREE entertainment throughout the summer months, held at their winery.
Adams County PA is one of largest apple producing counties in the U.S.A. We can direct you to any number of farm markets in our area for local peaches, apples, plums, sweet corn, and any number of other locally grown produce.
- Golf at one of two great courses within a 5 minute drive - Mt. View and Carroll Valley Golf Courses - or one of seven other courses within a 30 minute drive.
- The famous Appalachian Trail is just 5 minutes away.
- Over a dozen great antique shops and malls are located within an easy 10 to 30 minute drive.
- The Shoppes at Gettysburg Outlet Mall, and Premium Outlets in Hagerstown MD offer stores of every kind.
- Enjoy thoroughbred horse racing or the casino at Charlestown, W VA, a 45 minute drive.
- Enjoy one of the many weekend festivals that occur year-round in our small local towns, colleges and universities, and institutions. From bluegrass music to art shows and ice cream socials - it's all here.
- The Strawberry Hill Nature Preserve is one of our area's hidden treasures. A visit to this 609 acre woodland setting of swampy lowlands, mountain rock outcrops, ephemeral pools, and cold water streams is sure to be on your list of "places to come back to". A nature center, ten miles of hiking trails, historic 18th century log cabin, recreation and public programs - it's all here for your enjoyment. See www.StrawberryHill.org for more information.
The Battle of Monterey Pass was fought only 3 miles from our location. We can assist with the history of this battle - fought during General Lee's retreat from Gettysburg - and give directions to the site and local history markers. This was the second largest battle fought on Pennsylvania soil during the Civil War and was fought in the middle of the night during a fierce thunderstorm. The Friends of Monterey Pass Battlefield have recently purchased an acre of land at the heart of the battle and an interpretive center and museum has now been constructed.
•Local historic/cultural sites: Ft. Ritchie MD, Sister Elizabeth Ann Seton Shrine and Grotto of Lourdes, The Totem Pole Playhouse near Caledonia State Park, Catoctin Zoological Park, Catoctin State Park, Cunningham Falls State Park , The Majestic Theater (LeVan Performing Arts Center) in Gettysburg PA, Weinberg Center in Frederick MD
•Try a relaxing massage or facial at nearby Synergy Massage or Harvest Moon Studio
•Need something catered - from breakfast, lunch or dinner, to a wedding or just a picnic - look no farther than local G.T.'s Catering. Only a 7 minute drive
or call (301) 241-3434
•Cut flowers, formal and everyday arrangements, plants, herbs,
photographs and more can be found at A Lilly Pad .